Friday, August 22, 2008

Dear Abby

Dear Abby;

I was working at my current job, no real problems, but not great either....when I got a phone call from a competitor stating, we want you, we will pay you $4000-$14000 more than what you are making, plus bonuses, ...come interview with us... So I went to the interview, the lady, let's call her Ellen (because that was her name) was odd. She wanted to hear all the "dirt" on my current company. She hadn't even read through my resume, it was all a little disconcerting and made for a weird interview.

A couple of days later I got a job offer for $2500 more plus bonuses (if I work my tail off) from Ellen. I was confused. Hadn't she said $4000-$14,000 So I called and asked, and all of a sudden she started listing all my faults: 1: you don't have a bachelors 2: you don't have a certification 3: you only have 8 months of experience 4: you don't speak Spanish 5: you don't have a cock a poo named blarney..... I told her that she had set an expectation, and that she had fallen below that expectation. I told her that I did have a bachelors, I had 18 months of experience in this field, and we discussed that I would be certfied early next year......I told her that she needed to hold to her original number, so she did. I also confirmed that she would cover my healthcare for 90 days, (COBRA) until the company started covering me. She exasperatingly said yes.

So here is my question: Do I continue working for
company A- where they have a hiring freeze, and I do not have a real source of information in Utah, but at least the people are pretty nice?
Or Do I go to
company B, where they will pay me more, and I can make bonuses, plus I work with a pretty cool nurse here in Utah, but my direct supervisor in Arizona has memory loss, mixed with %$$#%@ (not very nice words)

Love; Don't want to make a mistake and jump in and swim with Sharks!

7 comments:

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

OH man Ab! Part of me says OF COURSE, but then there is this Oh crap what if part!

How much do you know about this new company? What are their credentials? (ooo, that just felt like a Clint question)

Does this put you working for the same type of person you worked for years ago?

How do you feel about it?

60,000 FABULOUS! Oh man! That would be great!

I can't wait to see what you decide!

Kate said...

That is a tough one... I would pray about it and go with your gut feeling. It is hard to turn down that much money- but it might be worth it if you have a boss is borderline.... crazy!

Alison said...

Be careful, because a crazy *&%#@ of a boss can make your life a living (@#%! even from Arizona. Ask yourself if your peace of mind is worth $60000. Often it isn't. If you do take it make sure that you get a good contract so that she can't go back on her word and that there is someone to appeal to if she is as bad as it seems like she could be.

Alison said...

Be careful, because a crazy *&%#@ of a boss can make your life a living (@#%! even from Arizona. Ask yourself if your peace of mind is worth $60000. Often it isn't. If you do take it make sure that you get a good contract so that she can't go back on her word and that there is someone to appeal to if she is as bad as it seems like she could be.

The CEO said...

Tough call...working for a crazy lady is never fun (I tried it once). Good luck and keep us posted. Shanna

The CEO said...

PS. Brent says to get everything in writing (it's the attorney in him). :)
Shanna

Hardy Party said...

Oh Abby, I've had some bad bosses through the years. This is could really be bad... Working for a crazy person is no fun. Can you talk to the other person that already works with her? That would be a great thing to ask. I want to get a feel for "A day in the Life" and talk to the lady. If it's this hard getting an offer, wow what could day to day life be like. Watch out!