Friday, December 11, 2009

Time out/priority shift

I didn't used to read Nie Nie, but then my walking friends kept talking about her...and the peer pressure kicked in.

Today I am so happy that I did.

She has a link to President Henry B Eyrings December message.

I needed that today.

Christmas is not about stressing about finances, and getting things perfect...
it is about gratitude in our hearts, it is about family, and generosity....

and then he talks about lights, and how the heavens always describe a light when they describe Christ. Joseph Smith saw a "pillar of light" The shepherds saw a "light" the nephites describe "light"

That light is easier to discern at Christmastime, when we are more likely to pray to know what God would have us do and more likely to read in the scriptures and so more apt to be on the Lord’s errand. When we forgive and feel forgiveness, when we are lifting the hands that hang down (see D&C 81:5), we are being lifted ourselves as we move toward the Source of the light

I love the visual imagery of lifting the hands that hang down. I love the visual reminders now that I will associate with the beautiful light display that light up my neighborhood.


I have been a little bit grinchy about a relief society party coming up. I am on the food committee, and was not very excited, especially because I felt that it was just "one more thing"
and yes it is "one more thing"
but it is also one more opportunity for me to interact with sisters...some of which might figuratively have their hands hanging down.

Phew...thanks for letting me ramble...
and
Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Tuzi Salz said...

Thanks for posting about the lights thing. Now I get to enjoy the blessing of thinking of Christ when I see the lights all around!

mindy said...

I hear about Nie Nie all the time, too, it seems. I've perused her blog a bit, and been glad when I did, even though I was resistant to it. (Maybe it's a Larson thing?)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. One thing that is helping me this Christmas is doing largely handmade gifts. I tend to want to "do lots" for Christmas, which usually means I want to get lots of gifts for people. Spending all that energy (and time) working on handmade gifts has helped me not need to spend the money on lots of things we don't need. :o)

Happy holidays!!

MOM Salz said...

Thank you for "lifting my hands" and always keeping in touch with me to make sure I'm doing okay. I appreciate it so much.

Yesterday we had R.E.A.D. Book Group at the Bungalow. It was a little extra work but so worth it! One of the best things I have EVER done at Christmas time. I hope your relief society party works out the same.

I'm glad you didn't mention feeling grinchy about the family DVD. :o}

Love you.

Hardy Party said...

Abby, that was amazing. I just love how your mind works. :-)

Love you all,
Dad & Sondi