Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dawson Lindstrom...and other things


Yesterday I got to attend and participate in saying goodbye to my nephew, Dawson Lindstrom.

Dawson was born 4.5 years ago, at 26 weeks gestation.
The doctors did not think that he would survive.

He did.

And he kept surviving.....until finally, his mission was completed here, 4.5 years later.

I have never truly understood this situation. I have looked upon his life very cynically. I have looked at the pain he has endured, and the costs which over 40 surgeries, and over a year of hospitalizations have incurred...and have wondered...

Today in Gospel Doctrine we talked about the "fore-ordination" vs. Pre-destination.

We spoke about the decision we made, to come to this earth. How we "shouted for Joy" when Jesus Christ volunteered to make the plan possible.

We talked about Abraham being told that he was one of the noble and great ones.

and today...I got it!

Dawson chose to come to earth.
I think he might have had a conversation like this with our Father....
Dawson....you will go to earth in a time of medical miracles.
You will be born to a mother with a voice of angels, that voice will bring you comfort...and you will call her "ma-ma"
You will be born to a father with the strength of a giant. His hands will protect you, and bless you.
Dawson...your body will limit you...it will cause you daily pain. It will not walk, or talk, or have much vision, or even digest food.
But you will hear
You will see
and you will touch.....the lives of those around you.
People will learn how to love, how to have patience, how to have endurance, how to rely on the Savior, and about the plan of salvation. You will be loved.

Dawson chose to come.
He fulfilled his mission...
He is as Abraham, a noble and great one.

I am so happy that he has gotten to return to his Father. I am so happy that his pain is over.
I grieve for his parents, Amy Ryan, his brother and sister Jakob and Mallory. They will miss him....daily.

But Dawson lives, just as our Saviour lives...
And I can't wait to meet him again.

6 comments:

Kate said...

wow, Abby!! What a beautiful post... I am sorry to hear about your nephew- but happy that you knew him and that he touched you and Clint for the better... you are the best!!

Brian and Kayla said...

It is amazing to think that Dawson chose to come here, even in the face of such limitations. He is an example to us. Thanks for that post. -Brian

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

WOW!! That was a beautiful post! Thank you so very much!

He was really something! Completely changed his parents and many many others! We will miss him terribly!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Abby. So much.

The Peach.... said...

Abby, I am totally bawling right now. THat was the sweetest thing...and I have to do a lesson on foreordination on Sunday, and this would be awesome to have in it!

mindy said...

I have a hard time being cynical about these types of things, too. I think you have captured the wonder and beauty of Dawson's life, even if it wasn't long nor pain-free. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I'm so sorry for his family's loss.