Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Dale Carnegie infiltrates

So my neighbor gave Clint a book, how to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie...(was that some evil type hint?) No.. Clint could probably write a book like that...but I started reading it last night, and all day today I have been trying (don't ask my kids) to not criticize complain or condemn.

Lets discuss how limited my conversation has been today.

Clay: Mom, today was the worst most horrible field trip ever...our bus got stuck on the free way by IKEA!
Mom: (Thinking in her mind...I can't believe the irresponsible school district! Putting my sons life in danger, by having him stranded for hours on the side of the freeway)I'm sure that you were all wonderful through it all, and started singing kum ba ya!

Lydia: (Not getting ready for bed when she knows that is what we do during the commercials of American Idol) No! I won't get ready for bed (smirk, and roll of her eyes)
Mom: Biting her tongue...remains silent,(although fuming inside, and wondering how in the world she is going to get through to this little girl, and dreading the day when she is not quite so litte) and then tries to put Lydia in time out (which is kind-of condemning especially when you are Lydia)

I really think this is something I need to try. (Boy was that last sentence noncomittal) It is so easy to complain/criticize. So here goes nothing. Maybe I should give up sugar, or my left foot instead. It might be easier.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is so funny, Harrison told us he didn't like his field trip either...now I know why! At least they will remember that forever...