
Ok...so I am making a confession, and I don't know if I'm confessing that I have never watched American Idol before this season, or if I am watching it now? Anyway... I think David Archuleta is just a cutie, and I think he is pretty sweet. (I also like Brooke White...)
When I was flipping through our Newsweek this week one of the articles was entitled America's Next Top Mormon. This is the closing paragraph
But there's another reason you see so many Mormons on reality shows—they're really good at them. Coming from a large family, as many of these competitors do, probably helps in "Survivor," with its complicated group dynamics that can mirror sibling rivalry. "They also have these incredible experiences through their missions and can relate to being dropped off in the middle of somewhere they've never been and having to make it," says Lynne Spillman, a casting director for "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race." But it's not just the competitive shows. Spillman says that Mormons—maybe it is those Osmond-like smiles?—just make for great TV. "There must be something about the Mormon community that makes these people so self-confident and so open," she says. And dare we say it: so like an "Idol."
I think that is a very interesting question. What is it about Mormons? Maybe that a lot have been giving primary talks since age 3 so stage fright is something that is conquered, maybe it is the ability to be open and honest, and let the spirit shine? Maybe it is the light of Christ- although not just Mormon's are privy to that....what do you think?
When I was flipping through our Newsweek this week one of the articles was entitled America's Next Top Mormon. This is the closing paragraph
But there's another reason you see so many Mormons on reality shows—they're really good at them. Coming from a large family, as many of these competitors do, probably helps in "Survivor," with its complicated group dynamics that can mirror sibling rivalry. "They also have these incredible experiences through their missions and can relate to being dropped off in the middle of somewhere they've never been and having to make it," says Lynne Spillman, a casting director for "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race." But it's not just the competitive shows. Spillman says that Mormons—maybe it is those Osmond-like smiles?—just make for great TV. "There must be something about the Mormon community that makes these people so self-confident and so open," she says. And dare we say it: so like an "Idol."
I think that is a very interesting question. What is it about Mormons? Maybe that a lot have been giving primary talks since age 3 so stage fright is something that is conquered, maybe it is the ability to be open and honest, and let the spirit shine? Maybe it is the light of Christ- although not just Mormon's are privy to that....what do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment