Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Merida Mexico

My nephew Gil- got his mission call to Merida Mexico.

Wahoo you might say, congratulations...Abby, why are you telling me this...don't really care...but Merida mexico conjurs up memories almost 12 years old that go something like this...
Night before I leave for my study abroad- ask out cute guy- Clint Salisbury, because seriously...I'm leaving the country the next day!!! No Drama!!!
Head out of Rexburg on March 2nd from a blizzard- seeya later
Travel with 12 of my best college friends to Mexico
Our apartment feels like an aquarium....tile/cement floors, aqua walls, cold showers
Dancing with the members, singing with the girls, classes, studying, working in the hospital
GROSS STORY ALERT
One day working in the ER at tres uno- which is actually just a room with some steel beds in it, with tons of sick little kids, a girl starts throwing up spaghetti, except it was 8:00 AM, who eats spaghetti for breakfast? I went over to help her out...and the spaghetti was moving..it was worms, she had a brain parasite!!! I had to leave- I couldn't even help her I was so disturbed!
Phew, sorry about that...

Trips to Cancun
Loosing contacts,crashing scooters, bargaining with the shop owners in broken Spanish, breaking cameras, Miss Mexico pagaents, ruins with Alberto, Cenotes with my friends, bridal showers for Janna, splits with the sister missionaries...

It was an amazing experience, and a great way to get grounded, before getting married. I packed all of those experiences in 6 weeks, I am almost jealous that Gil gets two years two associate with the "crazy yucatanians"

Congratulations Gil- my heart will be with you....in Mexico

4 comments:

Gear Gang said...

Gross Abby! I just sat down to eat my breakfast and see what everyone is up to. After that story my breakfast just didn't taste the same.

Congrats to Gil. How exciting!!

Anonymous said...

I will be in Mexico in May and am now paranoid about getting brain worms! Thanks Abby! : )

The CEO said...

Tears...laughing/crying...holy cow. Has it really been 12 years??? One of the BEST times of my life. If he has HALF the great memories that we do, he'll have a great mission. Love you Abby! Shanna

Hardy Party said...

Yes, that was a bit disturbing. We hope you are all doing well. We love you very much..

Dad & Sondi